Friday, December 18, 2015

How to Keep Cats on the Farm

I get a lot of flak from having so many cats. I know a lot of people really hate cats but I've grown up with them and have seen the many benefits of keeping cats around the house. Now, I'm allergic to cats so they stay outside but they still get the job done. HOWEVER, it proves tough to keep cats around in the country. Between snakes, coyotes, raccoons, and other varmint, it's almost impossible to keep them safe and from not running away. I've had several people ask me how we keep our cats around so I want to share that with my readers.

I don't always have success in keeping cats around because it's a scary world at night in the country but I've had a pretty good run with the cats we currently have. This is what I've done so far with my cats to keep them home:

1) When they are kittens, put them in a large pet taxi with a litter box and a towel to sleep on. Honestly, this sucks. Cleaning out a litter box first thing in the morning is the worst but if you want to keep your 6-8 week old kittens safe, then it's worth it. We let the kittens grow up naturally with their mommy until they are weaned. At that point, we start feeding them a little hard food in some kitty milk replacer (or warm water if the milk replacer is hard on their tummies) and cage them at night. They usually go in the cage at dark and they can stay in there until you wake up. If they are weaned, they shouldn't need any water in the cage because they just make a HUGE mess. All they need is the litter box and a soft spot to sleep. Use something you can wash regularly because they are getting used to the litter box and can get a little messy. Here's the tricky part - some cats figure out what time you put them up and they start to hide from you. If this happens, feed them a snack around bed time and snatch them up either while they are eating or after they eat. We do this every night until they are about 5 months old. It's a long time but at 5 months they are adults and can use their adult claws to defend themselves.

2) Keeping them in the cage for so long has an added benefit. It teaches them where home base is. We moved several times when my cats were kittens but they were so used to the pet taxi that they considered that their home. It also teaches them to hide at night time. Cats are nocturnal so eventually they will become active at night but for the most part, putting them up at night for so long teaches them to find a safe place at night to hide out in. However, the reason you don't cage them forever is because night time is their prime hunting time. I know as fur mommies we can be tempted to cage them forever to keep them safe but really by doing that we are handicapping them. They have to learn to be real cats and to hunt, hide, pounce, and play. We have to trust that their internal GPS will lead them home no matter what and that their instincts and reflexes keep them safe.

3) Feed them. Some people are of the belief that the less you feed your cat, the more they will hunt. I am not against this method, but I don't do it myself. I feed my cats a hearty breakfast and a light dinner. I have 6 cats so I use a small coffee can of dry food in the morning and half of a small coffee can at about 4 pm. I do 4 pm because I don't want any food on the porch after dark because it calls up unwanted critters. There's noting creepier than four raccoon peeking in your front door trying to turn the door knob. If I get home after dark and they haven't eaten, I usually won't feed them. They're cats - if they are hungry enough, they will find crickets or mice to eat. Which quite frankly is the reason we have them. However, if they are especially convincing of their hunger, I'll fold and give them a tiny bit to hold their tummies until morning. What can I say?? They gang up on me with their pitiful eyes and sweet pleas of desperation.

4) Love them. Cats may be independent creatures but most of them want love of some form. Take time to pet them. If they don't want to be pet, just sit in the same area with them. Let them jump into your lap and nap a little if that's what they want...they usually don't want much in return...you usually don't even have to pet them for them to be happy. If they don't want pets, quality time, or lap time, just give them verbal affirmation. Every cat loves a little "good kitty kitty" at least once a day. Cats get used to your voice and find comfort in it. Let them hear that you appreciate their service at your home.

If your cat is not a hunter, feed him and let him get fat. Fat, lazy cats are awesome to have around and make pretty good companions. ;) Every cat is unique. All it takes is a little patience, understanding, and communication to have a relationship with your cat. Get to know your cat and respect his desires and personality. After all, he probably feels the same way about you as you feel about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment