Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Sergeant Turns The Big 8

Sergeant is a very important member of my family. As a member of my family he gets treated to the long standing tradition of over the top birthday celebrations. Birthdays are a big deal to me and I always love to make people feel special on their day...Sergeant included (what?? Dogs are people too!).
We decided for his 8th birthday that we would not say "no" to him at all (as long as it didn't put his life in danger but at this point in his life we can pretty much trust him to make the right choice unless it involves a rodent or Cruella the cat). This was surprisingly more fun than I thought it would be! It was so nice to not constantly be on him, disciplining him, and crushing his zeal. He barked and barked and barked and barked and barked ALLLLLL day and I let him! He went outside as much as he wanted (which wasn't much because he prefers the heating blanket) and he got as many hot dogs (small pieces) as he requested (he stands a the refrigerator and stares and jumps). I let him chase Cruella and he went wherever we went. It was awesome!

He invited his Auntie Lucy (my mom's tiny but fierce chihuahua), Nana, and Pop Pop over for his birthday party and Lucy got a party favor for attending. I plopped (literally) some wet dog food on some plates (Sergeant got more than Lucy because she's too small to eat all that), shoved some peanut butter treats in Sergeant's "cake" and we sang his favorite song to him for the 20th time that day - Happy Birthday to You. He sings along and jumps with joy every time we sing that song so it's kind of fun. I'd include a video but I'm afraid it would just be painfully loud for your ears...it is for ours sometimes. He's small but he has a big voice, big ears, and big personality. 
We love that little dog more than we probably should but we find so much joy in having him as part of the family. We truly adore him and love celebrating his life and the joy he brings us. He's my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment