Friday, January 8, 2016

What to Feed the Mini Lions



I have a lot of people ask me what the heck I feed my cats. It always throws me a little because I don't think I feed them anything special but I figured I'd enlighten you nonetheless. I guess I'm doing something right because all 6 of my cats are healthy (not fat but they've got some meat on their bones) and have great coats of fur. I don't know if their silky soft fur comes from their gene pool (5 of my 6 cats are related) or if it's from a life of love, food, and happiness but I'd like to believe it's the latter. ;)

So here it is: I feed my cats a multi-cat dry food. It has a special formula that is ideal when feeding a wide range of ages and types of cats. I buy the huge bag from Tractor Supply because we go through it so fast and it's pretty cheap for the size we get. I think it's $20 for a 40 pound bag. At your local grocery store, you might find a 15 pound bag for $12 so you get more bang for your buck with the bigger bag from Tractor Supply...even if you aren't feeding 6 cats.

They also get the fat I cut off our frozen chicken, leftovers that I feel aren't too spicy for them (nothing that will upset their tummies - remember they are carnivores so try to stick with meat), and the leftovers from washing dishes. We have a mesh sink drain thingy so it catches all the stuff from the dishes (which in our house is usually some sort of rice and meat) and we throw it out the back porch. It's really not much but I know they enjoy it because the second they hear the back door open, it's like they've been teleported to the back porch. Man those cats are fast. I also throw my leftover coffee grounds off the back porch and for some reason Martin seems to enjoy a lick or two...but I wouldn't necessarily recommend you feed coffee to your cats.

Lastly, they are all outside cats and thoroughly enjoy eating crickets, grasshoppers, moths, lizards, snakes, and mice. I consider this their rent. They can buy a couple months rent by showing up with a mouse on the rug outside the door. Rory brought a rather large mouse up the other day but just as she set it down, Mustachio zoomed past and swiped it. I was hoping she would bring it back to show me but she's a feisty one and kept it all to herself. If I don't see another one soon, I'll start handing out eviction notices.

To sum it up, I give them lots of love, lots of pets and strokes, feed them one and a half times a day, and charge rent in the form of bugs and rodents. They are pretty inexpensive animals if you can control the population and we love the added benefits of having mini lions guard our property. If you have any questions, please comment below or contact me in the contact form. Thanks for listening and I can't wait for my next adventure to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment