Thursday, April 28, 2016

One of My Favorite Recipes

Jarrod and I tried to mimic a soup we loved a couple years ago and nailed it! We've been eating it in the regular rotation of meals since then. It doesn't hurt that it's pretty healthy too! I don't know about gluten free or dairy free, but calorie wise, it's pretty good (about 226 per serving).

A lot of people ask me for the recipe but I don't really measure things when I cook so it always tastes a bit different every time, which we enjoy. I'll give you a pretty good guesstimation of what we put in it.

Ingredients:
1 can 12 oz canned chicken
1 onion (or half if you prefer) diced
1 (or 2) green bell pepper diced
1 (or half) chopped jalapeno (depending on the season, they may be hotter than you think)
1 can rotel
1 can corn (drained)
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup chicken broth
1 can green enchilada sauce
2 cans cream of mushroom
1 handful of cheese
Salt, pepper
Cilantro

You can throw all this into a crock pot and heat for a couple hours and call it good, but we really like it better when we cook the chicken with some salt and pepper in a black skillet, add the diced onion, bell pepper and jalapeno and saute them with the chicken.

  • Once your chicken and cut vegetables are heated:
  • Add rotel, drained corn, drained and rinsed black beans, and chicken broth.
  • Salt and pepper as wanted (we like a lot but the more pepper means the spicier it will be)
  • Heat to a boil and let settle
  • Add enchilada sauce, 2 cans of cream of mushroom, cheese, and S&P (as needed)
  • Heat to slow boil
  • Let cool and heat back up again for the flavors to blend.
  • Garnish with rinsed cilantro (I like A LOT of it).
We love this soup every single time and we usually eat it over steamed white rice. There might be a healthier option out there but I'm not interested in it right now. ;) I hope you enjoy it and please let me know if you add anything that makes it even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment