Monday, January 25, 2016

Rory Caught a Mouse!

Disclaimer:
If you're partial to mice, please do not continue reading this post.

I mentioned in my previous post about the mini lions pay rent by catching rodents. I also mentioned that rent was due pretty soon or they'd start getting evicted. (We'd never actually do that but I have to use empty threats to get action.)

Well! Rory caught a mouse! I don't usually know which cat caught a mouse but I always have my suspicions as to which one is actually the hunter. This time is was clearly Rory. (Pictured to the left)

It was late at night and my husband and I were chatting with my brother in the living room. Our front door is all window so that Sergeant can see what's happening outside (he can't reach the windows so we adapted our front door to meet his needs). Suddenly, I see Rory prancing back and forth and she starts "meowing" also. She's not a very verbal cat, or easily excitable for the matter so I was immediately alerted to her behavior. I figured she'd been hurt or something. So I go to the door and there she sits, proudly displaying her kill. She looked at me with such happiness in her eyes and I told her immediately what a good kitty she is. I wish I had captured the look on her face but she was pretty camera shy. She continued to ask for attention so I opened the door, stepped out onto the front mat (after demanding Sergeant stay inside - I didn't want to start any fights...Rory is a tough one), and stroked her head telling her I was SO proud of her. She was beaming. I also congratulated her on paying rent for the whole family and suggested she rub it in the other cats' faces. I think she replied that she was never gonna tell them about it so she could eat the whole thing...and I don't blame her - those mooches.

Some people ask me how to make a cat hunt mice. I haven't completely figured that out other than the personality of the cat and something I read in a book. It said that if a cat never learned to hunt as a kitten that it never would. However, we found Rory on the streets as a baby and I never taught her so it might just be instinct.

The only cats I've had that are good hunters are savage, independent, socially awkward but still enjoy minimum human interaction. This is not an end-all-be-all formula for "mousers" but just my personal experience with hunters. If you're wanting to teach your kitten to hunt, I'd suggest getting him/her a toy to play and fight with. Play with her/him by mimicking a running mouse. It's literally a "cat and mouse" routine where the mouse plays dead and then tries to run away. If you've ever seen it in person, you realize how cruel and sad it is but I try not to judge since my house is mouse free. Kittens also enjoy shoe laces, fluff balls, and tiny stuffed animals. Encourage playful behavior with the toy but NOT with your hands. You'll give them the wrong idea and forever being sporting kitty scratches on your hands, wrists, and ankles. Painful and not cute. Good luck with your mini lions and let me know if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment